Oh well the search continues. Last week I stopped in a shop that I have passed by lots of times and always meant to stop at. It was near the end of my long shopping day and I just wanted to go home, but this time, I stopped. Of course they didn't have the dishes I wanted, but I looked around anyway, just to see what they have, for future purchases, you never know.
There TA DA, I knew why I had stopped. I saw this plate. It was just like the painting I have at home, from my dear Tante Gretel. She painted it decades ago and gifted it to me, I think when I was in my early twenties. I have had it hanging in several different places and last year I moved it to the livingroom.
One I especially remember of a peson sticking their head out of the window and watering the flowers on the Fensterbank.
I am very honoured to have one of her reproductions of Carl Spitzweg and now a plate Made in Germany that goes with it.
My Tante Gretel a proud German Canadian, I know would treasure such a find.
I can just hear her now in her sweet high pitched voice expressing her joy and glee.
This plate is one of 5,000 Limited Edition pieces.
Made in West Germany Berlin Design 1979.
Genuine Blue china.
It was marked down to 10€.
The painting is called Verbotener Weg, No Trespassing by the
the German romanticist painter and poet, Carl Spitzweg.
This painting was completed around 1837.
I have included a few of his works, for I think they are priceless.
They are humourful and tell you a story about the times.
The paintings sort of remind me of Norman Rockwell's paintings of everyday people in everyday situations.
Here are a few more of Carl Spitzweg's works.
I am certain some of them are familiar to you.
4 comments:
I absolutely love Carl Spitzweg's works. I wonder who long the "bookworm" will be able to balance on the ladder with a book stuck between his legs.
I do not remember hearing about Carl Spitzweg before. I certainly do like the works you have put on your blog. Thanks for showing me. I will keep my eye open for more of his stuff.
Isn't it lucky you stopped in that store?
It sure is Lori, and I know how you all hate when I make that one more stop.
Carl Spitzweg is worth checking out I can see why Kathy loves his works. Would be great to see an exhibit and stare at an original and look at all the funny and interesting details.
Hey, on my dashboard it says you have a new post about Heimat and when I click it it says Maple meets Adler is not available, so I cannot view that post.
Post a Comment