I gave a bit of history of the royals that lived here on my last posting, so this time mostly just photos of one Grand Great Garden.
I made it, this time, to the 135 hectare Grosser Grand Garten, which has its beginnings in 1666. Initially to mostly grow fruit. When Elector Ernst August came to the throne 1679- 1698 the garden became a grand splendour, thanks to his wife Electress Sophie. " This garden is my life", she said, and she died here in the Garden in 1714.
I took the DB here again, this time, everything ran on time.
As I finished my morning coffee, with a peanut butter cookie, I refreshed my memory on Herrenhausen.
I spent the entire afternoon here. It is magnificent. I walked and walked and walked and sat, and sat and rested. Had lunch and coffee break at the Schlossküche Restaurant to re-energize. Good thing I could go at my own pace.
I had a delicious salad and a much needed cool down beer. I relaxed inside, while others sat in the lovely but wasp filled outside area. It was quite a show. One lady calmly shared her
Kuchen with about six wasps. Yikes! Another couple sat beside about ten swarming wasps, very interested in the cutlery holder beside them. I was entertained and so relieved I was inside.
 |
| Nothing like a beer, especially non alcoholic to refresh in summer aah! |
Oh my goodness, I could just picture horse drawn carriages, through the manicured hedged ways. I also imagined ladies and gentleman of the 17th to 19th centuries, strolling through the fine walkways and pathways and selecting a spot to sit in the many open or secluded themed gardens.
 |
| Herrenhausen Gallery built between 1694-1698 |
|
 |
| The Neptune Fountain in front of the Herrenhausen Gallery |
 |
| The Gallery has a beautiful ballroom where Sophie danced with Tsar Peter the Great |
I unfortunately did not see the ballroom. The brochure says it can be toured as part of the museum tour, which I did last visit. But we did not go here. I am disappointed.
 |
| The Garden Theatre built in 1690, was the first "hedge theatre". |
|
|
 |
| 17 out of 27 golden statues of 1690 A.D. were restored in 2009 |
 |
a view from one of the Pavilions to the other pavilion. one can see how small it appears beneath the towering trees
but see how large it really is |
 |
| One of the Pavilions by Remy de la Fosse French Classicism |
 |
| Isn't this just calling for a horse drawn carriage? |
 |
| The only remains of the 17th century Palace that was destroyed in WWII |
 |
| Here she is, the Grande Dame of Herrenhausen, Sophie von Hannover overlooking the Garden and facing the Great Cascade |
 |
| Sophie von Hannover , this marble statue was carved in her memory by Friedrich Wilhelm Engelhard between 1865-1878 |
After Sophie von Hannover's death, her son George became the first heir to the British throne and became the King of England and Hannover. It was during his time that the Great Fountain was completed.
 |
| The Baroque Garden, one of 8 smaller garden themes separated by box hedges |
 |
| The Nieder deutsche, Lower German Rose Garden |
 |
| In the North German Cottage Garden the figurine Veritas (Truth) with the sun, a book and a globe. |
 |
| The Great Fountain,, built in 1720, the jet can reach 72 metres, completed by King George of Great Britain & Hannover |
 |
| One of 30, cascades and fountains all around the park, with a view of the Great Fountain in the background |
 |
| Trimmed hedges separate each grand and small area |
 |
| The maze viewed from the viewing terrace overlooking maze and Great Garden |
 |
| The Great Cascade, the oldest structure, dating from 1676 |
 |
| view of the Great Baroque Garden, Great Parterre from the balcony of the Palace |
 |
| View of Great Garden from the Great Cascade, one of the stone figures |
 |
| There are eight, 63 metres long rectangular box hedge trimmed flower beds, a close up of the pattern |
 |
The Bell Fountain in the middle of the Great Garden, with the re-built Palace
now Congress Rooms and Museum in the background |
 |
| Viewing the Bell Fountain from one of the eight sections |
 |
| Each section has the same repeating pattern of flowers around the edges |
 |
In each corner of the separate eight sections and throughout the garden are sculptures.
You can see the Palace in white in the background and the blackroof of the Gallery where we started the tour |
|
 |
| view from the sundial, in front of the Palace viewing the Great Garden and Bell Fountain |
What a glorious afternoon I had here. It was a perfect day, blue skies, mid 20's not too hot.
I still have one more section the Berggarden to see before October. My 8
euro admission ticket, covers the two Gardens and Museum. I don't have energy to do this all at one, so making three visits. Also must spend time
in the Georgen Garden, the free area and visit the Wilhelm Busch museum,
that can probably wait till winter.
I hope you enjoyed this tour. I am sorry I did not take any of my guests here, who knew it was so fabulous? Obviously, not I.
Schade, too bad. It is for sure on the list for future guests.
Another of many historical and beautiful places to visit in good old Germany.
Notes were taken from The Royal Gardens of Herrenhausen brochure.
***
 |
| Frau Cab |
No comments:
Post a Comment