I am reading Favoured among Women by Hedy Martens. She often mentions watermelon.
The Plaven in Ukraine was wonderful land for growing watermelon, she writes. For Vaspa they had Tweeback soaked in watermelon syrup. ( pg. 41) They had watermelon for lunch while working on the cotton fields and watermelon was something Greta could eat when she had scarlet fever.
In our heat wave of plus 30°C, temps and as I melt here in my kitchen on the second floor, I have been eating watermelon as a refreshing pick me up. The mention of watermelon syrup in the book reminded me of the drink I made last year.
I combined two great successes from last summer rhubarb sorbet and watermelon lemonade, both from Mennonite Girls Can cook, and made a watermelon sorbet into a nice chilled drink. It also is delicious to eat just as it is, as sorbet.
Just make the watermelon lemonade as per instructions and freeze. Scoop out and add sparkling water for a refreshing drink. I also tried it with Sprite, I found it too sweet, but was good with a splash of Martini.
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
boil until sugar is dissolved
Puree 8 cups of cut up pieces of watermelon
add to the water sugar mixture when cooled through a Siep, so that any missed seeds are removed.
( I left out the lemon)
Put into glass dish with lid and freeze.
Guten Appetit!
***
Frau Cab
No comments:
Post a Comment