Each and every time I am moved by the ceremony, the precision and discipline, atmosphere of flaming torches which makes me feel part of something that is centuries old, and then comes the musical prayer, the hymn "Ich bete an die Macht der Liebe" ( O Power of Love all else transcending) which is an emotional and spiritual highlight. It is moving as the soldiers very deliberately, showing respect and humility remove their helmets for this hymn of prayer and put them back on again for the playing of the national anthem.
Are you wondering as I did what the beautiful hymn of God and love often used at weddings or funerals is doing at a military ceremony? I checked it out.
This hymn has been played at the Zapfenstreich, since early 1800's when the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm III observed that the Russian army under the command of Alexander I Zsar of Russia had religious choral rituals after the curfew. I think Russia and Prussia were joining forces to defeat Napoleon.
The Prussian King was so moved by the religious presence in the Russian army that he ordered his army to do the same. Ever since, the hymn "Ich bete an die Macht der Liebe" music by Ukrainian composer Dmytro Bortriansky and text by German pietist Gerhard Tersteegen, has been part of the military ceremony of the German army.
Below you can watch this part of the ceremony at the Reichstag, the occasion is the 50th Anniversary of the Bundeswehr in 2008.
As so often happens I got caught up in digging further into the music, the Prussian and Russian history, etc etc etc. I also wanted to know why this song had such meaning amongst us Mennonites.
I read in the link on the composer Bortianksy that this hymn was originally called Kol Slaven, "How glorious is our God" and was considered the Russian hymn, it was played in the Moscow bell tower at 15 and 21 o'clock, until the Russian Revolution. It is no surprise then that this hymn is meaningful to not only Mennonites but many Russian emigrates.
For further interest the Mennonite source Gameo.org writes that King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia was the most peaceful ruler but under his reign was involved in the most serious wars. Yet he was friendly to the Mennonites and defended their non-resistance and legally freed them from obligation to swear an oath.
One last footnote:
Gameo.org also indicates that the writer pietist Gerhard Tersteegen actually preached in the Krefeld Mennonite church. In looking into this I accidentally found an article on my home church choir that did a performance there in 2011 and of course sang" Ich bete an die Macht der Liebe". How special that must have been. Tersteegen also wrote "Gott ist Gegenwärtig", another common hymn in German and in English as well,"God Himself is with us".
Ich bete an die Macht der Liebe, acknowledges that we are not alone, God is with us, our faith expressed through this piece of music gives us comfort and strength today as it has for centuries be it in our daily life, at time of celebration, in our most desperate need or on the battlefield.
.
2 comments:
Oh I love all this digging you did and the background to a hymn.
I got caught up in similar digging last night (different topic) and I thought of you as I was reading, reading, reading.
Glad you appreciated it, that is a nice thought.
Post a Comment