Aah, the first fruit or vegetable of the season is always a treat.
We have so much Rhabarber,
wish I could give you some.
Thanks to Mennonite ladies,
for the past weeks, I have been busy
cooking, baking, freezing rhubarb.
I baked for the first time Rhabarber Platz
a recipe from the Mennonite Treasury but is
also the same, except for the streusel, as this recipe in the MGCC cookbook,
also availabe at their site.
I also made the Rhubarb sauce from MGCC,
had while still warm on my Platz, yum.
I think I added too much of Dr. Oetker's Himbeer Götterspeise,
there was just this little bit left in the pkg, so I put it in.
Oops!
Hah, that is what jello is called here,
Götterspeise, food for the gods,
or also called Wackelpudding,
wobbly pudding.
Anyway, my sauce is more like firm jelly.
Or maybe I should not have put it in the fridge?
Yesterday I had a few neighbour ladies over for Kaffee und Kuchen.
It was a gorgeous 20°C day outside.
I made lemon cheesecake, it's like sex in a pan, but with lemon.
I had not made this for years brought back memories of bridal and baby showers
and many get togethers with friends and relatives.
I also baked Rhubarb coffee cake a common coffee cake recipe.
I use the one that I have used for years
from the WMES,Wpg. Mennonite Elementary school cookbook.
I noticed MGCC has it posted as well.
I made small little forms, baked well in my difficult oven,
instead of streusel, I iced with buttermilk glaze icing.
The big hit of the afternoon was the rhubarb sorbet,
YUM!!!
We started off with sorbet and sekt, sparkling wine,
then had it with ginger ale, as suggested on site.
I found this a little too sweet and preferred it with iced tea,
self made of course with little sugar or unsweetened.
We enjoyed one sorbet variation after the other.
I made one easy change to the recipe,
I just pureed it with a mixstab before I
put it in a sieb and drained out all the juice,
and then put it in the freezer and served the next day.
I will definitely make this again.
It was a recipe that I wanted to try for a long time,
which I had kept for years, ahem, ten, from Canadian Living May 2002.
When I first moved here my family gifted me the magazine.
I looked forward to the arrival of each issue.
Now I finally could strike off one more rhubarb recipe that I had tried
from the list of many good rhubarb recipes.
Next on the agenda, rhubarb-strawberry jelly
then I think I am done with rhubarb for the year.
Well perhaps one more Rhabarber Platz
und dann ist schluss.
Btw, other MGCC recipes that I tried lately and I recommend are
glazed ham and the pork tenderloin with balsamic blackberry glaze.
One more thing,
oh yes the typsich deutsche tradition of hostess gifts,
I received a tin box of Bremer Hachez chocolates
and Rittersport Schokowürfel,
in Spring flavours of Erdbeer and Waldbeer yogurt.
The pretty daisy centerpiece is also from one of the ladies,
eine kleine Dankeschön
because I will drive her son to his dentist appt. tomorrow.
Oh so silly,
really such unnecessary little something gifts,
from people who say we are not doing hostess gifts,
because we now meet regularly alternatively at each other's places,
but they still did.
The one that preaches neighbour helpfulness goes both ways,
still brought flowers,
na ja, I was the cheerful and grateful receiver.
Who can resist German chocolates so nicely packaged and pretty flowers?
I like saving those Hachez tins to pack future little somethings for someone.
Oh there was my Mennonite from the Germans no doubt, frugal and practical side.
9 comments:
You did it again, and no, I don't mean OOPS, you did it again. I mean, "Again you make such a nice blog!" Beautiful photos, good information about your life and a glimpse into german culture.
Love this post. The pretty Hachez tins, your whirlwind recipe trying and playing hostess.
Thanks!
You have been busy in the garden and the kitchen. If you are going to make such wonderful treats it really is nice to have someone to share them with! Enjoy...
Yum!!!! Looks fabulous Caroline!!!
I made Lydia's white buns today and they are so yummy!!! I've also got the banana bread in the oven .. all from mgcc.
Love these easy detailed mennonite recipes. :)
Enjoy !!!
You set such a beautiful table. I love the little coffee cakes. They are so cute. I saw the post about the sorbet. Now I'll have to try it.
Here's a question totally off topic. Would 'scheise' or 'scheis' be considered a swear word in Germany? About 50% of my class is from Germany and the other day they were freely expressing their opinion on something in German (which happens a lot). I heard many loud 'scheise'. I told the pair of students that in Canada that word is a swear word, and couldn't be used in school. They denied that it was a swear word in German, so they should be able to use it. Ha, ha! They made a good argument and had me second guessing myself. I still told them they couldn't say that in my classroom and directed them toward the sheets of adjectives I'd provided them with in their writing folders. Would students be aloud to use scheise in a classroom in Germany?
I guess I better start baking buns one of these days. I bet they were yummy. Must check out the recipe. I know those MGCC do a good job.
That is so true, which is why I share it here on cyberspace when my dear loved ones cannot stop by personally. I also so enjoy visiting your blog and the other ladies of MGCC, it's my little social blogging circle that encourages me and inspires to give that little extra to homemaking.
oh Monica, those German kids. Scheisse is totally accepted here, there and everywhere from Oma's to little kids. Not that I like it but it is used by everyone. hmmm must ask my niece J if they used it in school, you should ask her on FB. You stand your ground, now way should they be using that word in a Canadian classroom.
I prefer to hear "mist" for it doesn't sound so bad but means the same thing, but most don't know it. I forget myself to use it.
Yes you must try that sorbet, so yummy and easy I just finished off the last of it this weekend, had it with sprite this time. A great refreshment.
Monica I was wrong I asked our fifteen year old and she says, kids from grades one to six in Grundschule should not be using Scheisse in school.
Post a Comment